Monday, January 1, 2007

Keeping Your Balance...

Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 1 Corinthians 9:25 ESV

I took up long distance bike riding last summer. Well, it's "long distance" for me. The furthest distance I traveled in one day was 32 kilometers. Don't laugh. That's not bad for a completely out-of-shape grandmother who hasn't been on a bicycle for 20 years. The biggest challenge, of course were the hills. The area where I live in Central Ontario has no shortage of them. There were some hills I tackled which were three or four kilometers of tough uphill slogging. But the ride down! Awesome. It doesn't matter how old you are or how out of shape, coasting downhill is just plain fun. The only effort required is staying upright and that part isn't hard at all since the centrifugal force exerted by the spinning wheels would make tipping over very difficult. What a sense of freedom as the wind whistled through my helmet and the pavement whipped by under my feet. Those three kilometre hills were brutal on the way up, but coming down was simply glorious.

It's interesting how my view of those hills changed as I gained experience. In the beginning I HATED the climb up. I absolutely dreaded each hill as it loomed ahead, no matter how small. But as I experienced more and more the joy of coasting down the other side, I began to see the uphill sides as my friends of sorts. On the way up I would encourage myself by thinking , "What goes up, must come down" and thought about how exhilarating the ride down would be. Then, as I coasted downhill, I would begin thinking the opposite, "What goes down, must come back up," and I was already setting myself psychologically to be ready for the next tough climb. It became a matter of balance. Focusing too much on the ride up would cause me to become discouraged and make it even harder than it was. Focusing too much on the ride down meant I would have awesome fun while I was in it, but I wouldn't be ready for next challenge which was always just ahead. I learned to focus not just on the good, or the bad, but I had to find a balance to be able to make it for the long haul.

Getting through life can be like that... You have to maintain a balance or your view can quickly get way out of whack. When things are going well, I tend to forget the disciplines that were needed to get me there. And when way gets tough, I'm apt to forget that what goes up, must also come down and that this too shall pass.

My prayer for today is for God to help me keep my view of the journey balanced. Not to take life too seriously in the tough times, yet not to take things too lightly when I'm in that downhill coast. To remember the disciplines needed to stay in the race, to keep my eyes on the goal and not be tossed around so much by the ups and downs of life.

8 comments:

Belinda said...

Dear Lily--what an incredible debut! You made a great point about the balance needed in order to be successful in the long haul. I know that your words will be a blessing to many!

Dave Hingsburger said...

Welcome to the world of blogdom, Lily. I loved your post. While I can't claim to 'get' the bike thing, I do get the balance thing. I have to work to keep my focus, my thoughts and my attitudes balanced. I tend towards negativity and hopelessness, I look down so much that my neck hurts when I look up. So, I found what you had to say helpful. Hope you don't mind but I'll drop by now and then for a vist.

Dave

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily,

Enjoyed the reminder. I have been on a journey uphill with a ton of blessings but am very close to the downhill part of the journey and your words were encouraging to me. I am glad that God is the one putting the air in my tires on the way up and balancing me as I go down the hill or I would surely never enjoy the ride or catch the whole reason for my journey. Have a great day .

LL

Lily said...

Wow, you guys! You blow me away...

Belinda? Thank you! You are the Master Encourager of all time - save One. :) I wouldn't miss reading your blog every day.

Dave Hingsburger? Yours (Chewing the Fat) is my other daily-not-to-be-missed blog and I am honoured and blessed that you would want to visit once in a while. Welcome!

Anonymous? I think I know who you are, and yes, you have one more big hump to get over and then you'll be on the downhill coast of your life! (After your milk comes in! :) ) I'm praying for you -- every day.

Thanks for the encouragent.

Oh, NO! Now I'll HAVE to come up with another post!

Anonymous said...

Dear Lil- You need the 'balance thing' to do the 'bike thing' don't you?;}Frances

Anonymous said...

P.S.- I tried to look in the archives- had no luck! Laughing Uproariously because I kill me and LOL is for juniors.Frances

Lily said...

Yes you do (need the "balance thing" to do the "bike thing"), you dear crazy friend of mine. Thanks for stopping by! Lil. :) A visit from you always puts a smile on my face.

Lily said...

You kill ME too! (Stop it!) LU!